The Summer School focuses on collaborative industrial robots with special focus on advanced algorithms for mobile robots and robot manipulators, where Denmark has a special stronghold.
The overall goal is to enable the participants to design a robotic system for a given task. There will be a focus on industrial manufacturing tasks, but also tasks within service robotics and robotics for medical applications. Within each topic, participants are given exercises aimed at of achieving hands-on experience with the technology.
During the summer school you will gain knowledge of...
- Properties and types of virtual scenes
- Properties of digital twins
- Different kinds of simulations and simulation-based programming
- Algorithms for offline planning of collision-free and feasible robot motions
- Point-to-point robot planning algorithms
- Tool path planning in Cartesian space
- Offline programing
- The principles of robot kinematics and dynamics
- Approaches for programing by kinesthetic teaching
- Control techniques for selected processes
- Perceiving depth from space
- Object pose estimation and pose refinement
- The theory of Human-Robot-Interaction
- Multimodal Human-Robot Interaction
- Robotics for medical applications
- Clinical applications of medical robotics
- Collaborative robots and when to use them
- Challenges and opportunities for technology-based robotic startups
When you complete the summer school you will be able to...
- Create a digital twin and simulation setup, including creating a virtual scene for a given robotics problem
- Solve tasks involving motion planning and offline programming
- Solve tasks involving robot kinematics and dynamics, kinesthetic teaching and control techniques related to robotics
- Ability to solve 3D computer vision problems of pose estimation starting with the stereoscopic process
- Use multimodal Human Robotic Interaction in robotics application
- Design and build (part of) a robot system for a real-world robotics application using the technologies mentioned above.
Robotics startup culture in Odense
Alongside the curricular activities the program will have a hands-on approach on how to build your own robotics startup. In stead of teaching entrepreneurship on a theoretical level, we rather want to show you how you can succeed in transforming your great tech idea/work to a successful business. And what better place to do that than in Odense? The area counts 100+ robotics companies with 3,900 employees. The cluster is made up of many young companies and startups. Close to 70% of companies have been established since 2010 and almost 60% of companies have fewer than 10 employees. More than EUR 860 million has been invested in Odense-based robotic companies since 2015. Some of the lecturers will show you how to spin out companies from university, you’ll meet startups on the brink of commercial success. And who knows, you might just meet with some of the recent millionaires in Odense that made it within robotics. And even if you don’t run in to one of them, we’ll make sure you’ll leave the Summer School with lots of inspiration on how to start your own business.
Join exciting activities and trips
Summer School should also be fun, right? It is after all during the summer holidays. The Summer School will allow you to experience the best of Denmark and get a glimpse of our rich culture, history and most impressive landmarks.
You will visits other parts of Denmark and other leading Danish universities during the first three days of the Summer School (2-4 August 2023). Trips will include sightseeing in Odense, the Islands of Funen and Copenhagen. The excursions will include visits to the robotics research labs at Novo Nordisk, the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and IT University of Copenhagen (ITU).
Denmark is a small country with a population of approximately 5.5 million. Denmark is a kingdom of thriving cities and idyllic landscapes; an innovative society with a green lifestyle. It is practically an island nation, as it consists of 406 islands (although only about 70 are populated). Even the capital Copenhagen is situated on an island. Nowhere in Denmark is more than 50 km from the sea. And just a few kilometres from Denmark’s major cities of Aarhus and Copenhagen you find idyllic villages and pristine woodlands and lakes.
SDU is located in the city of Odense. Odense is a cultural and historical city with a long history. Hans Christian Andersen was born in Odense, and his lively imagination continues to inspire the city. In Odense you can go walking in H.C. Andersen’s footsteps through the historic district and sense the life of the city 200 years ago.
2024 Program (preliminary)
Updated 8 February 2024
Tuesday 6/8: Arrival
⏰ Morten will be at the hotel around noon
Wednesday 7/8: In the footsteps of Hans Christian Andersen
Thursday 8/8: Wonderful Copenhagen
Digital Hub Denmark, DTU, ITU, NOVO
Friday 9/8: Industry Hackathon with companies
Saturday 10/8: Day off
Sunday 11/8: Introduction to robotics. Digital twins and simulation for robotic systems
On the first day of teaching – Sunday August 11th, we will take the tram together leaving from outside the hotel at 07:30 sharp.
All under 26 years old can travel for 10 DKK (less than 1,5 euro), over 26, the cost is 15 DKK. Buy your ticket through the following link, or scan the QR code on the tram station. Please enter yout credit card details beforehand, so we will not all be waiting for you on the first day 😉. On Campus, I will give you a quick tour (show you where the coffee maker is) before the teaching starts.
Monday 12/8: Planning robot motions. Behavior based robotics.
Tuesday 13/8: Modeling and control of robots
Wednesday 14/8: Computer Vision and Robot-Vision Systems
Thursday 15/8: Human-Robot Interactions
Friday 16/8: Odense’s Robot Recipe – what is the secret ingredient?
Drone Airport, DTI, MIR, UR
Friday 16/8: Universal Robots & Odense Robotics Reception
Saturday 17/8: Day off
Sunday 18/8: Robotics for medical applications
Monday 19/8: Robot technology based start up companies, handout of course exercise
Monday 19/8: Networking Dinner
Tuesday 20/8: Flagship Industries
Danfoss, LEGO, Linak